Pregnancy and Nursing Guidance*
The plant based DHA/EPA oil in Pure One™ has been affirmed for use in dietary supplements for pregnant and nursing women.*
- DHA daily dosages should be discussed with your doctor, provider or OBGYN.
Algae oil can be considered safer than fish and some oils for pregnant and nursing mothers for purity and potency and algae oil is naturally better for preformed delivery of the right omega-3, DHA, at levels needed more by pregnant and nursing women.
- The USA is one of the lowest in terms of DHA levels in breast milk, suggesting the mother needs DHA supplementation before, during and after pregnancy.
- A minimum of 300 mg DHA daily has been recommended and more is better (see Chief Scientist Dr. Scott Doughman, PhD recommendation's below).*
- Levels of DHA intakes recommended before, throughout and after pregnancy. Fish consumption once per week is not enough.
- The DHA intake from an average diet during pregnancy is only 80 mg DHA per day, based on a paper in the Journal of Nutrition, 2005 (Denomme et al. 135: 206-211).
- A minimum 300 mg DHA daily is suggested, based on a 1999 NIH body of experts recommending needed levels to support fetal brain development and visual acuity benefits.
- Most notably, the last trimester is the most critical period for DHA during pregnancy for the baby's brain growth in the womb.
- Fish consumption is not enough , partly because DHA is only a minor part of fish and fish oils. DHA is most abundant in algae oil, the source of fish oil DHA in the food chain.
- DHA algae oil is doctor recommended and pure. Ask your doctor about Pure One for pregnancy and nursing support.
Habitual fish consumption does not prevent a decrease in LCPUFA status in pregnant women (the Seychelles Child Development Nutrition Study). Bonham MP, Duffy EM, Wallace JM, Robson PJ, Myers GJ, Davidson PW, Clarkson TW, Shamlaye CF, Strain JJ. Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2008 Jun;78(6):343-50. Epub 2008 Jun 26.
*Dr Doughman's Recommendations:
- Pure One™ offers 300 mg DHA + 10 mg EPA per capsule
- Prenatal & 1st trimester: 300 to 600 mg/day DHA ?[2 PURE ONE CAPSULES]
- 2nd trimester: 600 to 900 mg/day DHA ?[2-3 PURE ONE CAPSULES]
- 3rd trimester: 900-1200 mg/day DHA ?[3-4 PURE ONE CAPSULES]
- POSTPARTUM: 300-1200 mg/day DHA ?[1-4 PURE ONE CAPSULES]
- CAPSULES ARE NOT FOR INFANTS AND CHILDREN UNDER 4 YEARS OF AGE.
LIQUID OIL CONVERSIONS: 0.8g oil = 1 capsule (300 mg DHA + 10 mg EPA)
Infants: Give 0.5 mL to 1.0 ml oil daily, based on weight and personal preference.
- 0.5 mL = min 175 mg DHA
- 1.0 mL = min 350 mg DHA
- 2.0 mL = min 700 mg DHA
- 3.0 mL = min 1050 mg DHA
- 4.0 mL = min 1400 mg DHA
Recommendations are based on research and metabolism studies. Dr. Scott Doughman, Ph.D. recommends 2x to 4x the minimum 300 mg DHA per daily. Greater metabolic benefits are associated with higher DHA levels, dose dependently. Dr. Doughman's recommendations are not intended to replace the professional advice of your own doctor or OB/GYN.
NOTE: Always consult with your doctor before starting any supplement program.